The programme “Creation of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Unit” under the auspices of the Operational Programme "Education and Lifelong Learning 2007-2013" aimed to foster innovation and entrepreneurship among students in higher education institutions, linking higher education with the labour market. It encouraged innovation and entrepreneurship among young people by organizing conferences and competitions for the selection of innovative ideas and business plans, seeking to develop skills that promote the modernization of administrative procedures, the growth of entrepreneurship and the development of human resources in research and technology.
The main objectives of the project were to:
- Encourage entrepreneurship and new applications;
- Prepare and train young people for employment in SMEs and the creation of start-ups;
- Create educational programs that foster innovative entrepreneurial thinking and action.
The main activities of Materlab in order to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in the Region of Western Macedonia were the:
- Conduction of open seminars and media entrepreneurship;
- Mentoring of students in entrepreneurship;
- Organization of competition for the development of Innovative Company’s Business Plans;
- Creation of an entrepreneurship laboratory, development, operation and ongoing briefing site;
- Organization of study visits for students to incubators, technology parks, research centres and innovative companies.